After much deliberation I decided that the geometrical pattern for the collar and
the koi pattern for the sash didn’t work with the light, breezy feel I wanted for
this painting, and also clashed together. So I reverted to a variation of the initial
flowery pattern I had in the sketch.
Once I was certain I liked everything the way it was, I inked over the pencil lines
with a 0.1mm Copic multiliner pen. These are quick-drying and waterproof, so they’re
perfect for watercolor. They come in different sizes, so occasionally I use a larger
one (0.5mm) if I want thicker lines, but in this case I wanted them delicate and
precise, so I used a finer pen.
After the inking was done, I gently erased the underlying pencil lines with a kneaded